4/28/2013

SLIPCOVERS

I have 2 Broyhill winged love seats that I've wanted to have reupholstered for some time. They are both in good shape, I just wanted a more neutral fabric to balance the room's color scheme.  I opted to go the slipcover route....it would be less expensive and I'd have the benefit of being able to pull them off for a wash if soiled.   I finally called someone to give me an estimate....$350 labor for each, plus whatever the cost of the material.  Needing 12 yards for each at between $8 and $22 a yd... well it would probably be close to $1000 total.  This started me thinking about making it a DIY project.  My mom started me on sewing lessons when I was in 6th grade so I knew the basics and have been sewing on and off since then.   I've make some of my own clothes, done a few quilts, standard window valances, and covered a few pillows and cushions so I felt I could at least try.  So where to research ?....of course, the internet.


I found my answer by visiting Miss Mustard Seed's Blog here,
Marian gave me the inspiration and confidence to try.  While watching her 6 step by step videos,
 I kept thinking......
She uses regular painter's drop cloths (a sturdy canvas) for fabric.  I got mine at Lowes for $31.  At this point I figured even if it turns out horrible, I'm only out a few dollars.

  I finished up with just the neutral, casual slipcover I had seen and coveted in the home magazine pics.
 Following her instructions, I proceeded  slowly and methodically,
 constantly fitting before moving on to the next stage.
It isn't perfect....but it's perfect for me!
  
I don't want to go into every step because she does it so well (and deserves all the credit).
  Her videos make for a fantastic tutorial.
By using "upholstery" thread and "jeans material" quality sewing needles I didn't have the frustration of broken needles and thread when sewing this heavier fabric...
sometimes through 4 -6 thicknesses. 


I'll be repeating the whole process....
yes, I've got an exact replica that needs the same treatment:)


 
Controlled Chaos
 Here's some pics of cutting and pinning (no patterns needed)
notice all the cording...
 she recommended sewing this first which is a great time saver


              fitting the wings and starting the arms and sides

  























 arm front piecing




moving on to the front apron


final fitting for lower cording, then onto the cushion


Finished !
  (Scotch-gard upholstery protector added,
 even though they can easily be removed for washing)
not too bad for a first attempt and about $50 total


  

here's a swatch of a "tiara" printed fabric 


No comments:

Post a Comment